AndiABCs

Andi's ABCs

Birthmarked (Birthmarked #1) - Caragh M. O'Brien Birthmarked was one of the best dystopian books I have read in a long time. I had had my eye on this one for a while and kept putting it off for unknown reasons. I'm not sure why because I had heard pretty good things about it and I am a dystopian-aholic. So when I made my last group of ten I just knew I had to do it and I'm glad I did. It was actually what a dystopian story should be.

Birthmarked is the story of Gaia Stone, a 16 year old midwife that has taken on the job her mother had performed for years of advancing babies to the Enclave. She is perfectly content to work beside her mother and learn everything she can for the Enclave. That is until her parents are arrested and taken away from her. Having sat back long enough Gaia makes a decision that will forever change her, her parents, the Enclave and everyone around her.

I must admit I was a little wish washy when it came to Gaia in the beginning. She was kind of blah and was acting like a lemming. She had no thoughts of her own and I was bored by her. But then she met Leon Grey and he brought a fire in her that was missing. Through their "special relationship Gaia grew on me and she grew up. She started to think for herself and not just do what she told. She formed her own opinions about what was right and wrong and stood by them no matter what it meant for her well being. In the end Gaia was exactly what I hoped she was be and she was even better with Leon by her side.

This book was just excellent. It was the total package with heart pounding excitement and sweet moments about family and love O'Brien created a truly unique world that left me wanting more more more. A definite must read.