AndiABCs

Andi's ABCs

Will Grayson, Will Grayson - 'John Green',  'David Levithan' Laura and I had a hard time with this review so we did a joint one for galleysmith.com. Below you will find said joint review. :)

Andi:
Since we have talked about this review over and over again and have both had trouble writing it because we seem to focus on the negative and not the positive, let’s start with positive. What did you like the best about Capitalized Will Grayson(CWG)?

Laura:
You mean besides his Dad? That guy was a Super Hero Dad YA rarity! But…about Will (CWG) himself. Hmm….

Andi:
His dad was awesome! I loved how he was there for his son. I think that was actually the part of CWG that I liked — his loyalty to his friends. It didn’t matter what they needed, he was there. Even when, say, Tiny treated him like crap, he was still there for him. I appreciate that in a good lead character.

Laura:
Yeah, I agree. A character that stands up for his friends and family always makes me happy! Plus CWG did it with style in print and at his own risk of physical harm. Little league can be a dangerous world!

And what about the other will grayson (owg)—What was your favorite trait or aspect of owg? By the way, did you mind the lower caseness? Yeah, caseness is a word in my world. ;)

Andi:
That’s a harder one for me. I honestly don’t know what I liked about owg. A lot of the time I found him a little whinny and self-involved. But then he would have these moments where he would show how much he could love a person — like Tiny and Isaac. Now that is a character I can get behind. And when he finally admitted he was gay it was like he was finally okay with who he was. You know?

And the lowercase aspect? It was actually pretty genius if you ask me. It kind of fit each Will to a tee. CWG was all about conforming to the rules and not being noticed. He did things by the book so it made sense he would “have thoughts” by the book while owg was more of a character that just didn’t care for the most part. It was like he couldn’t be bothered and that was true to him.

Did it bug you?

Laura:
Huh! Funny! That’s what I thought about the CWG—a bit whiny and self involved. “will grayson”(owg) is harder for me to explain because he hit close to my heart. For me, I saw lower case will grayson not as someone who couldn’t be bothered, but one who wasn’t ready to put his heart out there with all the complications, mess, hurt, and emotion that come with it. He didn’t want to risk it. He wasn’t ready to risk his heart. It is a lot easier to pretend you don’t give a damn though.

And the lower caseness was brilliant! I saw CWG as a bit more ready to stand up and look for what he wants in life. A bit! But owg was still holding back and staying low. Pun intended!

Andi:
The funny thing is, when you really think about it both CWG and owg were so similar that they could have been the same person. I mean they both were afraid of being who they were, both had a little bit of depression going on and both wanted nothing more then not to be noticed yet I found myself liking CWG better then owg. I wonder if that had to do with Tiny’s role in CWG’s life. Because let’s face it, he was really what this book was about. Everyone took a backseat to the big man with a musical.

Laura:
So true! The Wills felt very similar at times. Both going for the emotionally detached route for safety. But Tiny…what to say about Tiny Cooper? The boy definitely wasn’t emotionally detached! He was a big bubble of joy! He filled the pages with huge love, emotion, and music! Perhaps it was just what the Wills needed!

Did you feel like Tiny took over the story?

Andi:
Abso-freaking-lutely! This was the Tiny Cooper show and everyone else, the Wills included, were just living in it. Was he the big bubble of joy you said he was, definitely. But he was also that friend that no one wants to have. He is the person that starts dating someone and then dumps his friends because his time no longer needs to be filled. Did I find him entertaining? Hell yeah. But I also found him self-absorbed, dramatic and a meddler. Can you tell he got on my nerves? Ha.

Laura:
haha…All that is true about Tiny. I keep trying to find a reason or figure out why Tiny was so big. Huh! Pun not intended that time! He played such an overpowering role–almost to the point that he felt like a distraction from the story. I loved him, but what about the Wills or the other characters. I wanted more of their energy and interactions.

Who was your favorite character? And while I’m at it, did you have a favorite of the two authors? You already know who my heart beats for.

Andi:
I have to say that I really enjoyed the character of Jane. She wasn’t a huge part of the story like “he who shall remain nameless” but she was in just the perfect amount for me to love her. Her place in CWG’s world just seemed right, as did the unfolding of their ‘relationship’. It was paced nicely and I got a feel for why they were drawn to each other. No one really registered enough for me besides her.

As for author that is tougher for me. I’ve read Levithan before so I thought I would be naturally drawn to him, but I loved Green’s stuff too. I guess it is hard to say because they really were very similar in terms of writing. I mean, you asked me to guess who wrote which Will and I failed miserably. There was just something about the two of them that worked well together. Sure I didn’t like all the ideas used, like the end really grated on my nerves, but there was something endearing about the book. You know what I mean?

Laura:
Well…I am a Levithan girl! The man can make the bottom fall out of my world with one word! And he pretty much did it again with the ending in this one. Just when I thought I couldn’t love the man more, he throws in the beloved pinky swear! It is hands down one of the sweetest acts and promises between two people! It holds a very special spot in my heart. That made the ending for me—to be honest. The rest was just…background music! Hehe…so yes, this book definitely touched my heart at times.

Andi:
It definitely was a special book in places. Like any great book it got the two of us thinking and talking for sure. It wasn’t my favorite by any means, I mean there were parts I didn’t like (the weird musical ending that I didn’t see a point of and the cat in the box talk) but all-in-all there was something about it that just made me enjoy it as a whole. I look forward to reading more of both authors. Oh, and finally getting the song Tiny Dancer out of my head.

Laura:
Great thanks for that—now I have that song in my head! Yeah—that’s all I got! OH! Can I close with my favorite quote? Please? Hehe…the adult version of Santa Claus? Come on Michelle! :D