AndiABCs

Andi's ABCs

Virtuosity - Jessica Martinez Okay, first and foremost I must start this by saying I didn't hate this book. I didn't love it like I had hoped, but I didn't detest it. Honestly it just wasn't for me in the long run. Me and classical music is like mixing oil and water. It just doesn't go. So with the majority of this book being about the violin and the classical genre I just wasn't sucked in. The story surrounded the music was great, but I just couldn't get past the talk of bows and strings and arias and operas. I wanted more of what was going on and less symphony discussion.

I know, I know, it sounds I hated the book, but I really didn't and I'll tell you why. Carmen and Jeremy. These two characters were the only reason I kept on reading and gave it three stars. The realism of the two was quite extraordinary. I mean never having been put in the kind of pressure situation they were in myself I have no sea what it would really be like, but reading about both Carmen and Jeremy's reaction to things I have to imagine that is what it would feel like. They were constantly second guessed by parents and teachers and judges and other competitors. After a while you start to question people's motives and I old completely undstand that on both ends. Carmen and Jeremy were two extremely enjoyable characters and I loved watching their relationship grow.

Now what I did detest was Carmen's mother. I don't think I have ever encountered a more vile person in a book. She was like one of those stage moms that lives their missed opportunities through their kids and miss out on being an actual parent. Not only did Diana peddle drugs on her daughter to "calm" hr down, but she manipulated her, used her and didn't for one second believe in her. She was the epitome of what is wrong with parents of child prodigies, actors or athletes. We took the joy out of something Carmen loved and made it sinister and evil. Honestly she made me sick to my stomach.

Really though, a excellently written, quick read about finding out who you are and making choices for yourself no matter the consequences. If you like classical music or don't mind reading around it, then definitely picked this one up and enjoy..