AndiABCs

Andi's ABCs

Gone - Michael  Grant The truth is, I debated reading Gone. I had it on my to-read list and took it off twice I think. First I wasn’t sure I wanted to get into a six book series. But after much much debate I finally decided to at least try the first one. I knew I was taking a chance because Gone is very, very, very outside my norm/comfort zone. I normally like YA contemporary, romance with a good dystopian added in for some flavor. A book about kids running their town with emerging “superpowers” and other weird things happening, just isn’t a normal read. With that being said I have to tell you, I didn’t hate it. I didn’t love the book, but I didn’t hate it either. All things considered it was pretty good. I apologize in advance for any spoilers. It just couldn’t be helped.

Basically Gone is the story of a bunch of kids from Perdido Beach, ages 14 and younger, that are left to fend for themselves when all the adults disappear. With no grown-ups they have to learn how to do everything and they have to do it fast. The thing is, the adults vanishing isn’t their only problem. Soon not only do they find themselves in a war of sorts with the kids from Coates Academy, the boarding school up the hill for troubled children, but some of the kids find themselves with unusual super powers.

There definitely was A LOT going on in Gone. There are a ton of characters and background stories and current stories to keep track of. You have the Coates kids with their lives and powers and secrets and then you have the Perdido Beach kids with the same. As more and more people were added with each page, and more and more details to remember, I worried that it was too much, that it would be too confusing. But happily I can report that that wasn’t the case at all. Sure there was a lot happening, but Grant wrote it in a way that made it easy enough to follow. He made Sam, Astrid, Caine and Diana the main focus and I think he made the right choice. He highlighted the battle of good v. evil and in the end used the other people as supporting players, and it just worked.

And that brings us to the catalyst of it all. The battle of good v. evil. Clearly there is a religious aspect to the story that can be traced back to Caine and Abel in the bible. A story of two brothers at odds against one another, both trying to get the upper hand in an almost unwinnable situation. Sam and Caine are versions of this duo. One has used the knowledge and power he has to destroy while the other tries to use his for the good of people. It is an epic battle both literally and figuratively. The comparison was a nice addition to the story because it gave you a point of reference and where they are both coming from.

All in all not a bad story. Just not 100% sure it was for me. Sometimes I think I will read the next one just to see what happens but much like I did with the first it keeps getting added and deleted. Just may not be my cup of tea after all.