AndiABCs

Andi's ABCs

Meant to Be - Lauren Morrill I needed a story like this. I had read a few too many deep and tragic stories so when I had the option to read this and I saw what it was about I took it immediately. And it was exactly what I needed. It was fun and charming and entertaining. But it also had some seriousness to it that gave the story some heart. Not to mention two main characters that worked really well together even if they got on your nerves at times.

Meant to Be is the story of Julia, a too smart for her own good, never steps outside of the lines kind, of girl that is on a school trip to London. Since birth Julia has heard about how amazing London is from her parents and she is determined to soak in all the culture. Manned with her color coordinated, over post-ited, guidebooks, she has everything planned out. However when she is partnered with the class clown Jason Julia’s over planned life becomes anything but. What seemed so clear and cut and dry before is anything but. Now she must figure out what is more important, following the rules and order, or the most unexpected things in life.

There really was something about this story that I found completely endearing. Julia was the most uptight, know-it all ever. She never let things happen to her. She orchestrated everything. And as annoying as that was, I got it and it even made her likeable to a fault. She liked the idea of being able to control what happened to her, right down to the guy that was perfect for her. She wanted what her parents had. She wanted to feel stable and secure. But Julia never thought about the variables and what makes life fun. Order and plans aren’t life. Unexpected surprises and experiences are. And with the help of goofy, immature at times, fun loving Jason, Julia finally got to see maybe life wasn’t as fun with order and rules. Maybe every now and then breaking a rule is good for the soul. And as a reader this was really fun and enjoyable to watch unfold.

I’ll admit from the description I thought I had the book figured out. I had it pegged what it was going to be about and how it would all unfold. And I was pleasantly surprised that it didn’t happen that way. Was it predictable as I started to read more and more? Absolutely. I saw the ending coming a mile away. But you know what, I didn’t care. Watching Jason break Julia about of her shell and open her eyes to things she was missing was so entertaining. Where there things I would have loved to have changed? Sure. But all in all the book worked. The characters were well developed and the story was told really well. I would definitely recommend this book if you are looking for a fun book with a little bit of deeper meaning behind it. It made me smile and I hope it makes you smile too.