AndiABCs

Andi's ABCs

Altered - Jennifer Rush First things first, why are more people not talking about this book? I mean seriously, why? Honestly I have had this book on my raider for a while. I remember adding it in June of 2012 and thinking how fantastic it sounded. But as things happen I kept putting it off and putting it off as other books were buzzed about. When I was offered a copy I jumped on it and just picked it up and basically DEVOURED THE WHOLE THING in almost one day. It was seriously FANTASTIC and I’m mad that I didn’t read it sooner, that I didn’t hear the buzz that it deserves, that I didn’t have 15 people telling me to read it. That really bums me out because people, you are missing out on greatness!

Altered is a sci-fi-ish thriller about Anna, and 4 boys, Nick, Cas, Trev and Sam(who Anna crushes on) that are being held in her basement for a secret government project. For years Anna has gotten close to the boys unsure of what the study is about and why the boys have been altered. All Anna knows is that the boys don’t remember a single thing since they were out in the farm house 5 years ago. When opportunity arises and the boys escape, Anna is forced by her father to go with them. What starts as a journey of finding out who the boys are becomes much more as each unraveled secret leads to the one question they never thought to ask, just who can they trust?

Fantastic sounding right? It’s like The Bourne Identity YA style with 4 adorable boys with varying personalities and Anna right in the middle of everything. I’m telling you I was 6 pages in and I fell head over heels for Sam and as the story progressed and I got to learn more about him both currently and in the past, that love grew. He was such a complex character that held everything close to the vest yet had this small amount of vulnerability to him that was especially brought out around Anna. Anna somehow softened the boys in a way that was almost unexpected. Even Nick who basically hated her was a little less gruff around her. I know there was a reason for this, but it still added to the story.

Now aside from the characters the plot itself was fantastic. Although some of it was predictable and I saw it coming a mile away there was enough that wasn’t. I was utterly engaged through the entire book from either the action that was happening as these teens ran for their lives or the little clues that would pop up explaining the mystery they were shroud in, or the pieces of the puzzle that fit into place. Rush created a high impact action story that kept my heart in my throat and me on the end of my seat. I was completely enthralled by the intricate story that was woven and connected with an easy precision.

Basically if you haven’t gotten it form this review I’m telling you that you need to read this book. You need to tell all your friends to read this book. You need to review this book everywhere and anywhere you can so people know to read this book. Rush’s book was a fast paced story of figuring out a mysterious past while trying to connect what it means for the future and who you are a person. I promise if you pick this up you will not be disappointed.